I wanted to start writing again a few years ago and added this new blog title to my Blogger profile. But life got in the way and I didn't start writing here after all. Fast forward to 2026. I'm 9 months out from being widowed a second time and my age (75 now) does seem to have a much bigger profile in my life.
I wrote the following post in 2023 but never published it. And since it serves as a pretty good introductory post I decided to start with this.
I hit 72 this year and it caused me to do some reflecting on all that has happened in the 13 years since Vern died. While that number is rather hard for me to wrap my head around, I do appreciate that he didn't have the opportunity to hit 70 or older so I do my best to embrace aging and not worry what number shows up each year.
I did a lot of new things during those first 'alone' years -
many that were way outside my comfort zone. Some weren't good for me at all,
but many were life changing. And all of those experiences helped me to
eventually move forward into the lovely life I have now.
I started out doing a lot of cocooning, hunkering down inside my house with the shades pulled when I wasn't at work. But I knew I needed to open myself up to new experiences in order to fully live my new life and honor the years I spent with Vern.
- Took
trips alone (Costa Rica, Key West, Charleston, Seattle, San Antonio,
Florida Gulf Coast)
- Held
Soul Restoration retreats (Folly Beach, Las Vegas, Henderson)
- Held
Soul Book Gatherings in Summerlin
- Attended
retreats (Brave Girls in Idaho, Wild Heart Art in Folly Beach, widow
retreats in Big Bear and San Diego, HandmadeU in Nebraska, Sister Camp in
Arkansas, Soul Chicks in Tahoe, Haven Place in Idaho)
- Took
some classes (Soul Restoration certification, artists' offerings,
Science of Happiness)
- Spent
two weeks in a beautiful Oceanside condo with a widow friend
- Contributed
to three Grief Diaries books
- Tried
new activities (hiking, snorkeling, ziplining, yoga, painting, drawing)
- Became
a Vegas Golden Knights season ticket member and watched them win the
Stanley Cup in year 6!
- Attended
24 Camp Widow weekends (San Diego, Myrtle Beach, Toronto and Tampa)
plus 2 virtual Camp Widows during Covid year
- And,
of course, did a ton of volunteering for Soaring Spirits and my widowed
community
- One of
the very best things I did during this time showed up in my FB memories. I
wrote about it in a blog post at the time and thoroughly enjoyed
remembering my time with these special little kids. I gave Golden Knights
tickets to that little boy who touched my heart and since I became FB
friends with his mom I've been able to watch him grow up. He just turned
14 and is still a hockey player. http://amyelomawidowsjourney.blogspot.com/2018/05/blessings-from-little-people.html
Life changed in 2018 when I made the very unexpected
decision to open myself up to dating. It wasn't easy and I made some big
mistakes, but it brought Jim and Sheila into my life and that was well worth
all of those hard lessons. We did so much in 2019 - 3 weeks in Okinawa, lots of
little RV trips, a visit with our Pahrump friends at their summer lake home in
Indiana, my 50th high school reunion, Jim meeting my family in Michigan, me
meeting his family in Minnesota - and had no idea then what 2020 would bring.
We weathered the pandemic year and made plans to do some traveling in 2021 ...
but that didn't happen. I walked away from all of my widow volunteer duties
that year and I'll admit that I struggled for a bit with feeling completely
forgotten. The widowed community was a huge part of my life for over ten years,
but it was definitely the right thing for me to do. I now have time to enjoy my
life with Jim and can also spend time getting creative again.
No comments:
Post a Comment